Child Care Assistance FAQ’s

(Frequently Asked Questions)


How do I apply for Child Care Assistance?

You can call 763-324-2360 to talk with our screener, or call the general number at 763-324-2350.  You can also come into our office located in the Blaine Human Service Center, 1201 89th Avenue NE, Suite 400, in Blaine.


Does Anoka County have a waiting list for Child Care Assistance?

Anoka County Child Care Assistance currently has a waiting list for families who qualify for Basic Sliding Fee (BSF) Child Care Assistance.  Qualifying families must have a gross annual income below 175% of the federal poverty guidelines.

If you would like to be screened for the waiting list, please call 763-324-2360.  You will be asked to provide information about your family size, income, medical insurance expenses, and why you need child care.

If you have an open financial case such as MFIP or DWP, you may be eligible for Child Care Assistance.  Please call 763-324-2350 for more information.  There is no waiting list for these CCA programs.



Do I make too much money to be on Child Care Assistance?

A family’s gross annual income must be below 47% of the State Mediam Income to be eligible for Child Care Assistance. 

  • For a family of 2 gross annual income must be below $30,166.00 
  • For a family of 3 gross annual income must be below $37,264.00
  • For a family of 4 gross annual income must be below $44,365.00                              
  • For families larger than 4, please call 763-324-2360 or 763-324-2350 to be screened.



Do I have to pay anything for childcare if I am on Child Care Assistance?

Families may be required to pay a part of the childcare costs. This is called a co-pay. Co-pays are based on family size and gross annual income. An example of a co-pay is a family of 3 with an annual income of  $21,000 would have a co-pay of $22.00 Bi-Weekly.


Why do you use my gross income to determine if I can be on the program and for my co-pay?  Why don’t you look at my expenses like rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.?

Minnesota state rule 3400.0170 subpart 5 and 12 states what Child Care Assistance is to use as a family’s income. This rule does not allow Child Care Assistance to consider family’s expenses.



Who can I choose to care for my children? Do they have to be located in Anoka County?

Families may select from any childcare provider offering legal care, and who can and will be registered with Anoka County Child Care Assistance. Your provider does not have to live or be located in Anoka County.


Can I have more than 1 child care provider?

Yes, you may have more than one child care provider. Child Care Assistance can only pay up to 120 hours for care in a 2-week period.


Will my co-pay go down if I use my neighbor, as a legal non-licensed provider, instead of a childcare center?

A family’s co-pay is based on gross annual income and family size not the type of provider who cares for the children or what they charge for care.


How can I get a list of providers?

For a listing of licensed childcare providers in Anoka County, please call Child Care Resource and Referral at 1-888-291-9811


Why do I have to pursue child support for my child who is not in childcare?

Minnesota Rule 3400.0040 requires all applicants and participants of Child Care Assistance to cooperate with the establishment of paternity and enforcement of child support for all minor children in the home with an absent parent.


If I live with my boyfriend/girlfriend do you count their income for eligibility or my co- pay?

If you have children with your boyfriend/girlfriend and you live with them, yes we count their income. If you have children and your boyfriend/girlfriend is not their biological parent we would not count their income, unless you were married and that person becomes a legally responsible part of the family.